St. Patrick's Island
The Wreck of the Tayleur
Air Crash 1913
Cuhulainn and Emer
Portico of Kenure House
St. Catherine's Well
| Introduction | Route
One | Route Two | Route
About a mile north of Loughshinny there is a small cave (a mine outlet) which is reputed to have been used by smugglers to store their goods during the late 18th century. The smuggling trade became very lucrative in the Rush/Loughshinny area after the British Government imposed excise duties on a large number of goods. In 1765 the use of the Isle of Man as a centre for warehousing ceased as the British took possession of the island and so about fifty large vessels in the area of Rush became involved in the smuggling trade. One large cutter the "Friendship" was captained by Luke Ryan who was born on the Kenure Estate. Captain Ryan and Edmund Wilde of Loughshinny were later commissioned by the British as privateers to to harass and capture French merchant shipping. Luke Ryan turned to piracy and his ship was seized by Revenue Officers when he returned to Rush. The ship was towed to Poolbeg but Ryan managed to recapture the ship with the aid of his Rush companions.
Another famous smuggler was John Connors (Jack the Bachelor) whose thatched cottage can still be seen in Lower Main Street, Rush. "Jack the Bachelor" is buried in Kenure graveyard.
The Cliff path to the smugglers cave has disappeared due to coastal erossion but it is still possible to go by the seashore at low tide with a local guide.
Home | Introduction | Route One | Route Two | Route Three
©2001 Loughshinny & District Development Association