Shipwrecks and Sea Tragedies.

Although the wreck of the "John Tayleur" was the most notable shipwreck in the vicinity of Loughshinny, over the years the sea has claimed the lives of many local people. In the year 2000, the village errected a monument to the memory of those who lost their lives at sea during the 20th century.

In 1903 the "Village Belle" sank just outside the bay. Peter Matthews and George Ferguson were drowned. Johnny Corr was rescued by local men Stephen Ryan, Ned Ryan, James Sweetman, Frank Ryan, Tommy Ryan and George Corr and these received certificates for bravery which are still treasured by their families.

Captain Frank Ryan from Loughshinny lost his life when his ship "Wakefield" was sunk by a submarine in World War I.

John Dockrell, James Dockrell and Johnny Corr (who was previously rescued) were drowned on March 3rd, 1917 when their yawl the "Pat and J ack" sank ten miles off Loughshinny.

On December 4th, 1929 the sailing yawl "Maggie" floundered almost behind the harbour in a strong gale as the fishermen were heading home. Onlookers could see their plight from the shore but were powerless in their attempts to help because of the rough sea. Three men were drowned - brothers George and Christy Wilde and Francis Ryan, a young man of 22 years. The body of Christy Wilde was not found for three days when local man Stephen Ryan (of an earlier rescue) dreamt of its whereabouts and went out with a hurricane lamp to find the body near the Smugglers' Cave towards Skerries.

In 1941 Joe Leonard lost his life when he fell overboard from the "Ros Cathal" just outside Loughshinny as he knelt fixing his fishing gear on his way home to harbour. Young fisherman Christy Plunkett received a bravery award for his attempt at saving his life - he dived into the sea from another boat and held the drowning man until help arrived.

On a Monday in August 1964 Christy's brother, Terry Plunkett, fell overboard from the "Ros Mor". His body was not found for many months until a French trawler recovered the remains in its nets. Paul Wllde fell overboard from the "Sabrina" in February 1971 and drowned in spite of his brother's valiant efforts to save him.

In 1975 the "St. Ibor" from Howth sank between Loughshinny and Skerries. Four of the crew drowned and the only survivor was rescued by Peter Wilde of Loughshinny as he set out to sea the next day. (Ironically Peter Wllde had been a previous skipper of the iII-fated "St. Ibor").

Joe Wllde, aged 29, of Loughshinny was drowned on February 25, 1983, when he fell overboard from the "Silvanna". He left a young widow and two little girls.

All these, with the exception of the St. Ibor crew, were past pupils of Loughshinny school. Ar Dheis De go raibh a n-anam.